Admission for Freshman-Transfer Students
Freshman-Transfer Students are those applicants who are applying with less than 12 transferable semester credits (1-11 transferable semester hours) taken after high school graduation. (For a list of required documents, see the section titled First-Year Admission Requirements.)
An applicant submitting a completed application to Texas A&M University-Kingsville as a freshman-transfer applicant will be granted admission to the university if they:
- meet one of the first-year admission options under First-Year Admission section above and
- have a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for the College of Engineering) from all other institutions that are fully approved by the appropriate regional accrediting agency and
- are in good standing with their previous college or university.
Transfer Admission Requirements
- Submit a completed application for admission, including the $25 application fee by the stated deadline (see Admission Deadlines). The ApplyTexas Application is available online at https://www.applytexas.org.
- Request that official copies of transcripts from other universities and colleges attended be sent directly to the Office of Admission, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, MSC 128, Kingsville, Texas 78363. Course work taken at other colleges and/or universities will be converted into Texas A&M University-Kingsville equivalents where appropriate. Applications will not be evaluated until all official transcripts from previous colleges and/or universities are received.
Note: Applicants from Puerto Rico, where Spanish is the primary language, are required to submit a TOEFL or equivalent. See the Proof of English Proficiency section of this catalog.
Admission for Transfer Students
(College credits earned during high school (dual-credit) and courses taken immediately following high school graduation during the summer do not classify a student as a transfer student.)
Students applying with 12 or more transferable semester credits taken after high school graduation must satisfy the following requirements:
- have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale from all the other institutions that are fully approved by the appropriate regional accrediting agency and
- be in good standing with their most recent previous college or university.
Note: To be accepted into the College of Engineering, the overall grade point average from all college work must be 2.5/4.0 or greater. (Applicants to the College of Engineering with less than 60 transferrable credits will be admitted to a Pre-Engineering program if their overall GPA falls between 2.0 to 2.49. For more information about admission to an Engineering program at TAMUK, please see the College of Engineering section of this catalog.)
Transfer students who do not meet published admission criteria do not qualify for automatic admission to Texas A&M University-Kingsville. Transfer students in this category who wish to receive further review must contact the dean of their academic college for consideration. If their academic dean recommends admission, students will be admitted with an academic status of Scholastic Probation and must maintain a 2.0 grade point average during their first semester of enrollment at Texas A&M University-Kingsville. Failure to maintain a 2.0 grade point average during the first term of enrollment may result in dismissal from the institution.
Applicants who have questions regarding what are considered transferrable courses may refer to the Transfer Credit Calculation and Evaluation section of this catalog.