University Housing and Residence Life and Dining Services

Thomas D. Martin, Executive Director, University Housing & Residence Life
Lucio Hall Room, Room 119
Phone: 361-593-3419

Undergraduate On-Campus Residence Requirement

The university requires all students with less than 30 completed semester credits hours (dual enrollment hours are not to be considered because they were not received while living on campus) or under 20 years of age to reside in university residence halls. Students under the required residence policy, however, will be automatically exempted if they live with a parent or legal guardian within a 50 mile radius of Kingsville which will be verified by the Department of Housing and Residence Life. All other students wishing to reside off campus who live outside the 40 mile radius must complete a Housing Exception Request Form which is available on the University Housing and Residence Life webpage. Submission of an exemption form does not guarantee approval, so students are advised not to make housing arrangements until approval is received. Registered students required to live on campus who do not receive approval for exemptions will be billed for on-campus housing. 

Request to Live Off Campus

Exceptions to the policy may be granted to those students who meet one of the following criteria:

  1. living with a parent or legal guardian and commuting within 50 miles,
  2. transferring in with 30 or more acceptable credit hours,
  3. 20 years of age or older
  4. married and living with your spouse
  5. have children that require your care at home

In order to be considered for an exception to the required residency policy, students who do not meet the requirements to live off campus and are planning on commuting mush complete and submit a Housing Exception Request form by July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. All commuting students (outside the 50 mile radius) must complete this form. Students who have already applied and then file for exception should not make any other housing arrangements until they are notified in writing as to the status of their request. 

Applying for University Housing

Incoming, New and Transfer, students can apply for housing by completing these four steps:

  1. Student must be accepted for admission to the University
  2. Submit a copy of your Bacterial Meningitis vaccinations1 (as mandated by state law) to Student Health and Wellness as soon as possible2
  3. Visit and log into your Blue & Gold Connection to apply. One of the last links on the Home Menu: University Housing & Residence Life.
  4. Once you have applied, go back to the Blue & Gold Home Menu and click on the MoneyConnect link to pay your $150 Room Reservation & Damage Deposit. Once you are redirected, click the tab at the top of the page labeled Deposit. Make sure to select Housing deposit and not the Study Abroad deposit. The semester you are applying for (drop down link) is undergoing construction so please select the option available (even if it is for the for the wrong term) and we will ensure on our end that the deposit gets applied to the 1st semester you will be living on campus with us. 

Once the agreement is submitted online or signed and submitted to our office, it becomes a binding agreement between the student and the university for the entire academic year (both fall and spring semesters) and while the student is enrolled at Texas A&M University-Kingsville.

Room Reservation and Damage Deposit

The $150 deposit, should accompany the Room Reservation/Damage Deposit Application, serves as a combination of reservation/damage/room clearance deposit. The deposit is not applied to housing rent. The deposit will be refunded to the student upon written request when all debts owed by the resident to the university are paid and the housing agreement is fulfilled. The deposit is automatically forfeited if the student cancels after the deadline, does not check into his/her assigned room during the check-in period, moves out of the hall before the end of the semester, or fails to properly check out of the hall at the end of each semester. The student will also be billed any remaining housing charges as applicable under the terms of the agreement. The previous charges, plus other damages or assessments left unpaid at the time the student leaves Texas A&M University-Kingsville Department of University Housing and Residence Life will be deducted from the $150 deposit. Failing to submit a deposit will result in $150 room reservation charge added to your student account.

Cancellation Dates

Should there be a change in plans to attend Texas A&M University-Kingsville, written notice of cancellation must be received by the Department of University Housing and Residence Life on or before the following deadlines in order to receive a refund of $100 of the Housing Deposit.

Semester Deadline
Fall Semester July 1
Spring Semester December 1
Summer I May 1
Summer II June 1

Written cancellation requests may be received in person, by email (, or by mail to the: 

Department of University Housing and Residence Life
700 University Blvd., MSC 108 
Kingsville, TX 78363-8202

Notification submitted to other departments other than the Department of University Housing and Residence Life does not comply with this requirement; and thus requested action cannot be assured.

Termination/Cancellation after the Semester Deadline for 1st Time Applicants and Returning Residents: A Housing Exception Request Form must be submitted and if approved, the $150 housing deposit will be forfeited.

Effective Date of Cancellation Cancellation Charge
On or Before Semester Deadline $501
After Semester Deadline (Between 1-30 Days) $5502
After Semester Deadline (After 30+ Days) $6503

Traditional-Style Residence Halls

Rooms in each residence hall accommodate two students. Each hall has a laundry room, vending area, small kitchen and common lobby available for student use. Housing rates are listed at the end of this section. Rules governing residence hall living and dining room conduct are set forth in the Student Hand-book and Residence Life Guidebook.

J. C. Martin Jr. Hall is a three-story co-ed, air-conditioned residence hall. It houses 400 students. The hall has a large lounge/TV area, a study room, and a workout room. Room furnishings include two beds and a chest of drawers, a built-in desk and bookcase, two closets and two Ethernet ports. Central bathroom facilities are located on each wing. Martin Hall has an outdoor courtyard which includes a basketball half court and a sand volleyball court.

John F. Lynch Hall is a two-story, air-conditioned hall for 200 women. It is located across the street from the Memorial Student Union. The hall has a large lounge/TV area and a study room. Room furnishings include two height adjustable, desks and bookshelves, two chairs, a chest-of-drawers, two closets and two Ethernet ports. Lynch Hall features suite style restrooms.

Suite-Style Residence Halls

Suite-style design consists of a two or four bedroom unit; while rooms are private, residents share a living room, kitchenette and one or two bathroom(s). In addition, cable television is provided in each bedroom and living room. Residents also have access to wireless Internet, study labs, a large lounge and meeting rooms, on-site mailboxes and conveniently located administrative offices.

Mesquite Villages West – Home of the Honors College opened in the Fall of 2011. Mesquite Village West is a four-story, 98,000 square feet co-ed residence hall, housing 286 beds, with a two and four bedroom unit suite-style design with first priority assigned to students who have been accepted into the Honors Program. Mesquite Village West is located across from Lucio Hall.

Eduardo and Josefa Lucio Hall opened in the Fall of 2009. It is a four-story, 210,000 square feet co-ed residence hall, housing 600 beds, with a two and four bedroom suite-style design. Lucio Hall is located across from Martin Hall.

Meal Plans

Students who are under 21 years old are required to purchase a meal plan in addition to housing. During the fall and spring semesters, the student may select from a variety of meal plans on the housing agreement. Any changes to the student's initial meal plan selection must be made within seven days after check-in. (This does not include the block plan, which cannot be changed.) Requests for changes to the meal plan are handled at the University Housing and Residence Life Office.

Room and Meal Plan Payment Procedures

Upon being assigned to a residence hall, the room and meal plan fees will be added to the student's account (which includes tuition and other student fees). It shall be the student's responsibility to make prompt arrangements for payment by one of the following two options:

PAYMENT OPTION 1. The student may choose to pay and/or use financial aid to pay student account balance in FULL on or before the payment due date.

PAYMENT OPTION 2. TUITION, FEES, ROOM & BOARD - FALL and SPRING SEMESTERS ONLY (excluding mini intersession terms) – The student may choose to pay balance on the Installment Payment Option by the payment deadline. TAMUK offers a Deferred (4–Payment) Installment Plan that covers the cost of all outstanding tuition, room, board, and mandatory fees.

  • The student can enroll for this option online through MoneyConnect and $100.00 down payment must be made at the time of enrollment in the plan. The student can pay and/or use financial aid award to cover the first installment of 25% of balance.
  • The non–refundable payment plan setup fee of $30.00 will be calculated into the installment payments.
  • The student will pay the remaining installment payments on or before the due date specified for each installment.
  • A $15.00 late fee will be assessed for each installment payment that is late.
  • INSTALLMENT AMOUNTS MAY CHANGE over time to account for any new charges, payments, or financial aid adjustments.

If a scheduled payment becomes delinquent, notification will be forwarded to stop meals. The student will still be responsible for paying for meals that have been stopped because of non-payment. Students who have their meals stopped for non-payment are encouraged to meet with the business services manager, whose office is located in the Business Office at College Hall, to discuss payment arrangements. No credit will be allowed for nights not spent in the hall or meals missed. Meal plans are not transferrable from one person to another. Students who purchase a meal plan will be issued meal privileges on their student ID card. It is the student's responsibility to promptly make arrangements to pay room and board fees in order to obtain and maintain meal privileges. Failure to obtain an ID card/meal privileges does not exempt the student from the obligation to pay the full amount for room and board fees due. The student will be charged a replacement fee for the loss of the ID card. Replacements are obtained at the ID Center located in the Memorial Student Union.

A "hold" will be placed on the student's records for delinquent payments. A student will not receive his/her grades, transcript or be allowed to register for future semesters until such hold is cleared. Non-payment will also result in loss of future housing privileges. Failure to pay account in full by the end of each contracted semester or session will result in the student’s account being referred to the University Collection Department to begin collection procedures. The student will be responsible for all collection fees and enforcement, in addition to the original student account balance due that is sent to collections.

Miscellaneous Housing Information

  1. The university will make all residence hall and room assignments and reassignments as necessary. The university cannot guarantee assignment to a particular hall or a specific roommate. First priority of residence hall assignment is given to students who have resided in university housing the preceding long semester and contracted to return to the halls. Second priority of residence hall assignment is given to new applicants based on the date that the housing agreement, housing deposit and bacterial meningitis record are received in the University Housing and Residence Life Office. All applicants must be accepted to the university before a housing assignment can be made. In the event that hall reservations reach capacity, overflow students will be assigned to temporary assignments in other areas as long as space is available. Students will be reassigned as regular housing becomes available. Not placing a deposit or submitting incomplete agreement forms can also delay the assignment process.
  2. All students are initially assigned a roommate at the beginning of the semester. Should a student’s roommate not check-in to the hall, that student will be requested to consolidate with another person.
  3. Specific roommate requests are accommodated as possible. Students with roommate preferences must mutually request each other on the housing agreement, request the same hall and include their prospective roommate’s ID number. Both agreements must also be received by the May 1 priority deadline (for fall semester assignment). Not being admitted to the university, not placing a deposit or submitting incomplete forms can also delay assignment.
  4. Due to space limitations, private rooms cannot be reserved in advance. Private rooms are assigned from a waiting list after the 12th class day if space is available. There is an additional charge for a private room. The university does reserve the right to place two people in a room that has been assigned as a private room if space is needed. A refund will be made to the person who has paid for a private room (prorated from date the private room is relinquished).
  5. In signing a housing agreement, the student agrees to reside in that room for the time specified in the agreement. This agreement is personal and may not be transferred or assigned to another person. If the student fails to enroll at the university, advance notice of residence hall cancellation must be provided in writing. Under the terms of the housing agreement, moving from the residence hall without an authorized release from the agreement will not terminate the student's fiscal obligations.
  6. Residence halls and dining halls are closed between the fall and spring semesters and during university holidays. The residence hall calendar and the housing and food service contract show the specific times that the residence halls are open and when meals are served. During periods when classes are not in session, housing may be made available if the university determines there is sufficient demand. In such instances, additional rent may be required of each student desiring accommodations. The amount will be determined by the University Housing and Residence Life Office, and students will be consolidated into one hall.

Residence Hall Association

Composed of student representatives from each residence hall, the association represents the entire residence hall population. Its purpose is to provide effective lines of communication among the house councils and with the University Housing and Residence Life Office; to coordinate the programs, activities and government of the individual residence halls; to arbitrate any disputes pertaining to house council operating procedures; and to recommend policies affecting all residence halls. Each residence hall has its own house council.