Department of Rangeland and Wildlife Sciences

The Department of Rangeland and Wildlife Sciences offers Master of Science degree in Range and Wildlife Management. The department also offers the Doctor of Philosophy in Wildlife and Rangeland Sciences.

Research projects in Wildlife Science have involved a variety of topics on game and nongame wildlife, habitat management, disease issues, natural history and basic theoretical aspects of wildlife ecology and management. Faculty from the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute are recognized internationally for their contributions to natural resource management. 

Graduate Faculty

Range and Wildlife Management (RWSC)

RWSC 5306  Thesis  3 SCH  (3)  

Designed for thesis option students. The course requires completion of thesis research. Prerequisite: departmental approval. May be repeated for maximum of 6 semester hours.

RWSC 5390  Adv Studies Range/Wildlife Mgt  1-3 SCH  (1-3)  

Material offered will be determined by the needs of the students. Laboratory and lecture will vary according to the subject needs. May be repeated under a different topic.

RWSC 5399  Research Topics  1-9 SCH  (1-9)  

This course is specifically designed for Plan I students. Required during the research, data analysis, and initial writing stage. Grading for the course will be S for satisfactory or U for unsatisfactory.

Range and Wildlife Management, M.S.

Potential graduate students are advised to write the department for current information on program and opportunities. The thesis must be completed within seven consecutive years of initial registration. Students seeking the thesis option leading to a Master of Science degree should expect to take a minimum of 30 hours of coursework (24 hours of formal courses plus one section of 5306 for the completion of the proposal and a 2nd section of 5306 upon the completion of the thesis.). Students seeking a MS degree in Range and Wildlife must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 2 statistic courses as part of their formal coursework. Only two Special Problems courses WSCI 6395) can be counted toward formal course work leading to a MS or PhD degree in Range and Wildlife Sciences. A non-thesis option for a MS degree can be earned by students in Rangeland and Wildlife Sciences graduate program is not typical for this program and would require exception and prior approval from the Department Chair with successful completion of a minimum of 36 hours of formal course work. Students must obtain an approved degree plan from their academic advisor prior to courses being accepted toward their degree. Students who received a graduate stipend are expected to be enrolled as a full-time student each semester. Research hours (5399 or 6999) can be taken to fulfill the obligation of being a full-time graduate students; however, research hours do not count toward formal course work hours.