Veterans Services

Memorial Student Union

Our goal is to provide quality service to our students who have served our country and expand our military-friendly services and programs for America’s finest by preparing them with all information on well-earned and deserved educational benefits. Our office is a guided resource to insure our students pursue and achieve their educational goals, along with professional and vocational objectives. Texas A&M University-Kingsville is a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium affirming our commitment to recognize and work with current or former military students and their families who want to obtain a college education


Students attending with aid from Veterans Benefits should inquire with the Veterans Affairs Office prior to registration, to obtain needed information relative to their enrollment and "certification" or attendance to the Veterans Administration. All new students must furnish the Veterans Affairs Office a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4) or a certified DD-214 from the county court clerk of their respective county. The Veteran must also furnish certified copies of marriage certificates, divorce certificates, and dependents' birth certificates, if applicable. The Veterans Affairs Office will monitor the degree for which the student is registered and only certify applicable courses that pertain to the degree route. If it is found that a course is not currently listed, but approved by the student's advisor, and Advisor Approval Form will be needed to certify the courses. The Veteran's Administration will not pay educational benefits for courses taken which do not appeal on the student approved degree plan, nor will they pay for courses previously taken and successfully completed. 

Federal Veteran Educational Benefits

Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act: Some new provisions that go into effect immediately include: 

  • The 15-year time limitation to use Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits is eliminated for Veterans who left active duty on or after January 1, 2013, children who became eligible for the Fry Scholarship on or after January 1, 2013, and all Fry scholarship eligible spouses.
  • We are now authorized to restore benefits and provide relief to Veterans affected by school closures or disapprovals. Learn more and apply here.
  • Reservist who had eligibility under the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) and lost it due to the program sunset provision will have that service credited toward the Post 9/11 GI Bill program. We are in the process of identifying the approximately 2,800 Reservists affected by this and will send them letters with instructions.
  • Certain work-study is permanently authorized; previously it had been re-approved by Congress every few years.
  • Anyone eligible for GI Bill can use their benefits at an accredited independent study program at an area career and technical school, or a postsecondary vocational school providing postsecondary level education. There is no action for you to take here, as these programs will go through the normal course of approval by the appropriate State Approving Agency. Any new programs will be added to our GI Bill Comparison Tool.
  • The VetSuccess on Campus program will be available to students across the country.
  • VA will help Veterans to more clearly identify schools that offer them priority enrollment.

Post-9/11 G.I. Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) 

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) Benefits to Dependents (TEB) also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents. For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program will be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children starting Aug. 1, 2009.

Montgomery G.I. Bill (CH 30) program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Vet Success Program (CH 31) is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, CH 31. It is sometimes referred to as the CH 31 program. The Vet Success program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, Vet Success offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Montgomery GI Bill-Selective Reserve (CH 1606) is an educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve. Eligible recipients receive a monthly stipend based on enrollment status. CH 1606 eligibility is determined by the Department of Defense. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP or CH 1607) is for certain Reservists who were activated after 9/11/2001. Eligible recipients will receive a monthly stipend based on enrollment status and period of service. To be eligible, you must be a member of a reserve component and have performed active service for a minimum of 90 consecutive days.

Additional Federal Programs are Available at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Webpage

Texas Veterans Educational Benefits

Texas Hazelwood Act -Texas Veterans no longer entitled to educational benefits under the VA are eligible for assistance under the Hazelwood Act (Texas Education Code 54.203), if they are not eligible for any other federal financial aid. The Hazelwood Act waives tuition and fees for Texas Veterans. Under the Hazelwood Act, an eligible Texas Veteran is one who entered the military service from Texas, or Home of Record at the time of entry into active duty was Texas, or was a Texas resident at the time of entry into military service, served more than 180 days of federal military service- excluding Initial Entry Training (IET), received an Honorable Discharge or General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, exhausted GI Bill benefits if eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits at the 100% rate, reside in Texas during term of enrollment, meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not to be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours. The Hazelwood Act provides qualified Veterans, Spouses, and Children with an education benefits of up to 150 hours of tuition and fee exemptions at state supported colleges or universities.Veterans using the exemption must complete the Hazlewood Act Exemption Application Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application

Texas Hazlewood Legacy Program – Eligible Veterans may assign unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain condition. To be eligible, the child must:

  1. Veteran must qualify for the Hazlewood Exemption
  2. Provide death certificate if Veteran is deceased
  3. Recipient must be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as dependent for current or previous tax year on IRS 1040
  4. Recipient must be 25 years old or younger on first day of class
  5. Must meet the GPA requirement of the institution's satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution's financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours. 2.0 Undergraduate and 3.0 Graduate
  6. Recipient must meet the institution's resident tuition requirements
  7. Provide DD214 or equivalent supporting documentation

To use the transfer of unused benefits to an eligible child, applicants must complete an application/release form. Please choose the appropriate application below:

Hazlewood Act Exemption Application – Initial application for the Hazlewood Exemption for enrollment. This document requires a notary approval when utilizing the transfer of hours option for legacy applicants. Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application.

Continue Enrollment Form (CEF) – Post initial application for the Hazlewood Exemption for enrollment of students subsequent to prior enrollment at the school in which the student is currently and consistently enrolled. Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application for Continued Enrollment

Revocation of Previously Assigned Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Hours – This form must be submitted to the institution where the benefits is currently being used to revoke previously assigned Hazlewood Legacy hours.
Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Hours.